X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBOLC Fort Benning

Hello! My boyfriend will be going to Fort Benning in November for the Infantry Basic Officer Leadership Course. He was thinking about getting an apartment off base so I could come with him. Does anyone know if this is even a possibility?

Thanks for you help!

Re: IBOLC Fort Benning

Originally posted by dtg View Post
    Hello! My boyfriend will be going to Fort Benning in November for the Infantry Basic Officer Leadership Course. He was thinking about getting an apartment off base so I could come with him. Does anyone know if this is even a possibility?

Thanks for you help!
    Yeah, but it's a bad idea. He will be on TDY orders and it will be Benning's responsibility to provide him housing. If he rents an apartment in addition to that, the cost is on him.

Hopefully he'll get a room at McVeigh or Towle Hall, both of which are right next to the drill field where all the formations and PT are held. The accommodations are basically small hotel-style rooms. Last I checked, you could pay some small additional fee at the Army Lodging office and get permission to have another person stay there with you.

Comment

Thanks for responding! I didn't realize there are other options for housing. Do you know if it is common for significant others to stay with their soldiers?

Comment

Originally posted by dtg View Post
        Thanks for responding! I didn't realize there are other options for housing. Do you know if it is common for significant others to stay with their soldiers?
        It's not uncommon. It's more common among active duty soldiers, however. Active duty officers who are branched Infantry get PCS orders to Benning, so they're given a housing allowance for the area and are responsible for their own living arrangements.

When I was there about five years ago the rooms were pretty small; smaller than I'd care to share with anyone. If he lives in an apartment with you off post, the commute will force him to wake up even earlier in order to account for the commute. To be honest, the places nearest to Benning that I'd consider living are off exit 10 on I-185. Getting from there all the way down to Benning and then across post to the drill field every morning is at least a 30 minute ordeal. It's a 30 second ordeal if he just lives in the TDY housing that Benning provides.

I know it's easy to say this from where I'm standing, but it's my opinion that officers should focus on training when they're enrolled in courses like IBOLC. Being a soldier requires one to be prepared to deal with being separated from one's family for extended periods of time. He's going to IBOLC to learn the basics of being an Infantry officer, and trying to set up a temporary living situation with a wife/girlfriend just to make it seem "more like home" is counterproductive. This is especially true for Guard officers because the opportunities to explore the fundamentals of their assigned jobs are few and far between outside of schools.

Comment

My wife stayed with me off-and-on during FABOLC at Fort Sill. Not sure how IBOLC works, though.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with jwarren.

Once IBOLC kicks off after the first week or so, time during the week will range from limited to zero. You will ultimately be a hindrance and I'd be willing to be it will cause some tension. He will spend roughly every other week in the field. This means he will not be available at all. He wont come home at night, he wont be able to make phone calls and if he's slick enough he might be able to text.

When he gets home from field weeks he's going to be exhausted. Then during the week he's not in the field he's going to be given an overwhelming sized OPORD homework assignment that he'll have to work on for almost every night, and will be up until 2 or 3 am (if he's lucky) and will wake up at 05 for PT every morning.

You guys will honestly be better off if you fly down (I recommend air tran or southwest to save some cash) every other weekend or so.

My wife to be came down about every other weekend and sometimes stayed a few days into the week.

I do not recommend he fly home. Every LT I know that ends up going home on long weekends for a pass regrets it. They sit at home the whole weekend hating life, knowing they're going back.

Also...tell him to go to Best Buy and buy a T-mobile prepaid phone with the $1 a month unlimited texting plan for the field. Signal is good, the phone is small, and wont likely be taken by cadre if he's smart and doesnt have it out all the time, doesnt use it when tactical, etc.

Comment

I thought it would be easier if I went down there with him but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
              I'm going to have to agree with jwarren.

Once IBOLC kicks off after the first week or so, time during the week will range from limited to zero. You will ultimately be a hindrance and I'd be willing to be it will cause some tension. He will spend roughly every other week in the field. This means he will not be available at all. He wont come home at night, he wont be able to make phone calls and if he's slick enough he might be able to text.

When he gets home from field weeks he's going to be exhausted. Then during the week he's not in the field he's going to be given an overwhelming sized OPORD homework assignment that he'll have to work on for almost every night, and will be up until 2 or 3 am (if he's lucky) and will wake up at 05 for PT every morning.

You guys will honestly be better off if you fly down (I recommend air tran or southwest to save some cash) every other weekend or so.

My wife to be came down about every other weekend and sometimes stayed a few days into the week.

I do not recommend he fly home. Every LT I know that ends up going home on long weekends for a pass regrets it. They sit at home the whole weekend hating life, knowing they're going back.

Also...tell him to go to Best Buy and buy a T-mobile prepaid phone with the $1 a month unlimited texting plan for the field. Signal is good, the phone is small, and wont likely be taken by cadre if he's smart and doesnt have it out all the time, doesnt use it when tactical, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X