X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• words of advice for a new guard mom

I am a married mother of three children. I am joining the Ohio NG. My mind is made up, however, I would love for anyone who may have experience in my situation to give me words of advice, view points etc. that will help me on my journey. I have always wanted to be in the military, but I had my first child young. my senior year of high school to be exact. I am 33 now and I feel my children and my family as a whole are mature enough to handle me being away for training and to handle the possibility of me being deployed at some point. There may be things I may not have thought of or questions that I absolutely need to make sure I ask my recruiter. I want any and all advice! I am an LPN and plan on going into a medical specialty and furthering my education. Thanks in advance!

Re: words of advice for a new guard mom

Good luck with your recruiting process and happy holidays. I am in San Diego now at the Navy Lodge in Coronado and its bliss. A tangible benefit that every service member should take advantage of.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      Good luck with your recruiting process and happy holidays. I am in San Diego now at the Navy Lodge in Coronado and its bliss. A tangible benefit that every service member should take advantage of.
      I just checked out the website and your location. Beautiful pictures the hotel has on their site! JEALOUS!

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
        I just checked out the website and your location. Beautiful pictures the hotel has on their site! JEALOUS!
        https://www.navy-lodge.com/lodge_pag...odge_number=10

My window could be seen from this photo and yes, that is the Pacific Ocean. Just took a nice walk on that beach a few hours ago. Also, 65 degrees for Christmas, you cannot beat nor the price. I should of went Navy lol.

Comment

Not knowing what you know, I would just ensure you have a clear Family Care Plan in place (a requirement, I believe, for all parents. But it's good to make sure you are familiar with yours). Also, as with any new recruit, understand what you're signing for when you draw up your contract. Ask about your eligible benefits, and the possible career paths your MOS offers (more specifically, are there promotion opportunities, extra training available, etc). The basic premise is to gain as much knowledge as you can about your commitment so that you aren't surprised later. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for your response! I have heard a lot about making sure I know every detail before I sign anything. I seem to have a great recruiter. I just found out today that the MOS I am wanting has a few new openings so I will be heading to MEPS a little sooner than originally planned. Monday!!! I will be taking my ASVAB and my physical then. Any words of advice for the ASVAB? I am so looking forward to serving my country and using my talents for a greater purpose than just a paycheck! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X