X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some Motivation

To catch you up on my story. I am prior service Army NBC (now CBRN) and I was in the process of filling out my PTH when I tore my ACL and meniscus playing basketball. My ACL was gone, replaced by a tendon from my hamstring, and the meniscus had to have about 20% "shaved off" according to my Dr. I am 33, married with a 4 y/o son, and Iím a Deputy Sheriff. I have always regretted leaving the military, and now that my civilian career is going well I want to peruse the Military again. I had surgery in March, and I am still going through rehab. The strength in my knee is getting better, but I am having issues jogging. The impact of running creates a lot of pain and I donít know if it is just something I am going to have to push through or if there are other factors here. I will know more on the 23rd which is my next Dr. appointment. I have to wait 1 year from date of surgery to attempt at re-enlisting. So I have plenty of time to get my knee to where it needs to be. But this is the most mentally frustrating process I have ever been through. There is nothing that can be done to speed up the recovery process. I have read and re-read threads on military.com for workouts that I can do (certain exercises are off limits for now) and for mental motivation. I need someone to go D.S. on my a$$ and remind me of what Iím trying to accomplish. I think being assigned to a desk @ work while I rehab is also draining me of motivation... Any and all words of wisdom would be appreciated. I came here because I know people on this forum will not hold back.

Re: I need some Motivation

Take care of number one and the Army currently has too many broke soldiers. If you can't be 100 percent when you enlist, don't re-enter.

Comment

Trust me, I will not enlist if I cannot get back to 100%. I would be possibly putting not only my life in danger, but those around me. But at this point in my recovery, I am starting to doubt if my knee will ever be 100% again. It is actually the meniscus that is bothering me more, it gets very inflamed every time I jog. I can deal with that though, considering that area is now partially numb due to the nerves being cut during surgery. But the reall issue is the pain that comes with the impact of running. Like I said, hopefully I will find out more from my Dr. on the 23rd. I have been looking at re-enlisting for a few years now, but I wanted to get certain things in order in my civilian life first. I would hate for something like this to keep me from persuing my dreams. I just need to keep my head down and keep working at getting better. I was also hoping for more than one reply.... but I guess when it comes down to, the only person that can motivate me... is me.

Comment

Sounds like you have priorities straight. You are taking care of the knee which is good and make sure you follow doctor's orders to the T. You do not want to risk a re-injury and set yourself back. As far as motivation do what works for you. Pick up some info on the National Guard and place it where you can see it everyday. This is what I do for my APFT. Our new platoon sergeant gave us all copies of a counseling statement we would get if we failed the APFT. I have never failed one and do not intend to. But I took that copy and hung it on my closet door the month before the test. I saw it every morning I woke up and each night I went to bed. It helped me to stay focused on what I needed to do and at age 40 I wanted to do my best and it worked for me.

Comment

Well....it happened again. I was one month away from being a year out from surgery when I tore my ACL during an altercation with an arrestee. At least this time it was on the job, and not playing basketball. The Sheriff's Dept. has really taken care of me though. The surgeon who performed my operation is the Indianapolis Colts Team Physician. So that made me feel a little special.... The level of care I have received has been outstanding. With that being said, I still have to go through the rehabilitation process. I am 6 weeks post opp and doing very well so far. The hardest part is staying mentally tough to push through the pain. One of my biggest motivational factors is that I am still planning on re-enlisting in the Military and going NG. I just hope I can get the strength and stamina out of my knee needed to perform at the level needed to be a soldier. All I can do is Drive On...

Comment

Originally posted by DragonSoldier View Post
            I need someone to go D.S. on my a$$ and remind me of what I’m trying to accomplish. I think being assigned to a desk @ work while I rehab is also draining me of motivation... Any and all words of wisdom would be appreciated.
            STOP CRYING, SOLDIER!!! WIPE YOUR NOSE, GRAB YOUR SACK, BITE A 5.56 ROUND AND MAN-UP!!!

I'm 41 years old, got TWO screaming grandkids, an overly sensitive wife that wants everything she sees on HGTV, a 24-year-old daughter that's wasting time in the Air National Guard, two busted knees and two busted feet!!

And I can STILL average a 280 PT score provided its warmer than 70 degrees outside.

YOU are going to have to DROP all running on the pavement.

80% of your cardiovascular regimen needs to be done on a world class elliptical machine. None of that piece of shiite, Gazelle, Turbo 2000 bullshiite. Join a damn GYM, preferably the YMCA where you can have access to every form of free weights, kettle bells, yoga pilates classes, olympic-sized pool, jacuzzi equipment possible. The other 20% of your cardio needs to be done in the olympic pool.

You're going to have to KILL your CORE.

You're going to have to do EVERYTHING: Circuit training, dead lifting, bench press, squats, HAMMERSTRENGTH machines, Dips, pull-ups.

Are you FRIGGIN' complaining???? DIG for that military bearing!!!

I don't want to hear no garbage about how you can't afford a gym membership and how you have to be home by 1800 everyday to fold your laundry and change diapers.

DO IT!!
            Last edited by VICEROY06; April 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I have a Wellness Assessment this morning, that will give me a nice discount at the YMCA once complete. I will be doing most of my rehab there, I go to a different facility for my Physical Therapy 3 times a week. VICEROY06 you are 100% correct about my core. This being my 2nd ACL reconstruction on the same knee in less than a year, my core has severely suffered. I have gained about 10 lbs over that year, which isn’t horrible, but my actually fitness level ...well... let’s just say I don’t think I have ever been this out of shape. I am not cleared to swim yet, for some reason the kicking motion is a NO GO right now per my DR. But that should only be for a couple more weeks I think. I still have 5 weeks before I will be cleared to jog on a treadmill.. Thanks for the words of encouragement... I will reference these posts whenever I don’t feel like pushing myself to the limit. HOOAH

Comment

Originally posted by DragonSoldier View Post
                I have a Wellness Assessment this morning, that will give me a nice discount at the YMCA once complete. I will be doing most of my rehab there, I go to a different facility for my Physical Therapy 3 times a week. VICEROY06 you are 100% correct about my core. This being my 2nd ACL reconstruction on the same knee in less than a year, my core has severely suffered. I have gained about 10 lbs over that year, which isn’t horrible, but my actually fitness level ...well... let’s just say I don’t think I have ever been this out of shape. I am not cleared to swim yet, for some reason the kicking motion is a NO GO right now per my DR. But that should only be for a couple more weeks I think. I still have 5 weeks before I will be cleared to jog on a treadmill.. Thanks for the words of encouragement... I will reference these posts whenever I don’t feel like pushing myself to the limit. HOOAH
                Take a knee, soldier. I'm not through with you yet.

Your days of taking ANY kind of impact in your knees are over.

Save it for when you're in a training battalion and you have no other choice.

You're also going to have to forget about being Usain Bolt in the two-mile run. Focus on maxing your sit-ups and push-ups. See if you can work on maintaining an 8 minute pace. No more, no less.

You're not going anywhere near a treadmill. I don't give a damn what ANYONE says you're not going near a treadmill.

You can get more than enough cardio on an elliptical machine. If you do nothing else at the gym, do a straight hour on the elliptical. The best ellipticals give you a complete readout i.e. heart rate, calories burned, level of resistance, and gate increase. Forget about following the preset training modes on the elliptical--stick strictly to manual training.

I'm talking about you're going to have to have a mental picture of yourself BREAKING that elliptical in half. You're going to have to vary the level of resistance. There was a time where I couldn't last more than 5 minutes at 45% resistance without coughing up a lung. Now I can HURT an elliptical--max resistance at 100% and max heart rate at 180 bpm.

Here's my training regimen below:

The Bear.

Supersetting: Lat pulldown/Incline benchpress

Trap bar deadlift.

Ray Lewis front/side deltoid combo workout.

Non weight bearing pool exercises.

That's not all...

You're going to have to drop the hamburgers and hotdogs, guy.

TOTAL. RAW. DIET.

Nothing but fruits and vegetables for a solid week--all day, all night.

Next..

Invest in either fish oil capsuls or Krill oil. This is what's going to save your joints from feeling like somebody's spraying sulfuric acid on them. You can also take these capsuls with you to training. I got mine approved by my case manager nurse at the MED DET.

And finally...

This is what you need to eat and drink...daily:

Last edited by VICEROY06; April 30th, 2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I appreciate the words of encouragement and tips. I have a long road ahead of me but that will make accomplishing my goal that much more satisfying. With that being said, since I have a minimum of a year before I can attempt to re-enlist that gives me plenty of time to think about which MOS to choose this time. There is a Chemical Company here in Indy and since I was a 54B (74D now) and never really got to do anything that involved my MOS besides AIT that interests me. But I am also interested in a few others. 15T sounds interesting, and there is an Air Assault/Support Unit nearby. There is always 31B, but since I am a Deputy in civilian life im not sure. The biggest plus to this is that the unit I would drill at is literally 3 minutes from my house. And there is always 68W, just because that extra medical training can always come in handy in this line of work. Oh…. And Im not very proud of the results from my Wellness Screening…. Let’s just say I have a lot of work to do.
                  Last edited by DragonSoldier; May 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

DRINK WATER!

Comment

OK, the Dr. that performed my surgery put in that I now have an 8% PPI (Permanent Physical Impairment) due to having 2 ACL surgeries on the same knee. Does this disability rating DQ me from another enlistment?

Comment

Working...
                      X