X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife wants to join....

My wife wants to join the National Guard… but here is the situation. I work full time to support our family and my wife is a stay at home mom at this time with a 6yr and 3yr old. She really wants to farther her education and also get extra income. I guess my question is- have you been through this aka wife join and husband stay? And what kind of help would I get while she was gone. And my main concern is how “safe” will she be? What are the regulations on men and women serving in the guard?...
    I am really looking for info and feedback on your experience if you have been through something similar. Anything will help us, thanks

Re: My wife wants to join....

I'm not really sure what you mean by "how safe would she be"? She would be just as safe as anyone else that joins.

Also, what kind of help are you talking about getting? There is no child care or anything if thats what you mean, however your wife would be getting paid so that could provide some income to go towards childcare.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
      I'm not really sure what you mean by "how safe would she be"? She would be just as safe as anyone else that joins.

Also, what kind of help are you talking about getting? There is no child care or anything if thats what you mean, however your wife would be getting paid so that could provide some income to go towards childcare.
      What I mean is because she is female working with lots of men from different back grounds and upbringings. To be very strait forward sexual assault. What are the statistics and the likely hood of something like that?
      At this point we are still doing research on pay and what not. So would she be getting paid while in training? And how long is basic?

Comment

This is a possibility....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mcbczuHp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLH-FUc1rA

Or she may have a desk job and just go to the field and never deploy. Too much "what ifs" on how safe she will be. But war is war and if she goes; and its fair game out there.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          This is a possibility....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mcbczuHp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLH-FUc1rA

Or she may have a desk job and just go to the field and never deploy. Too much "what ifs" on how safe she will be. But war is war and if she goes; and its fair game out there.
          Thanks for the videos. I guess I am just worried as the over protective husband. I got diabetes when I was 3 so I can’t join but my wife is just as hardcore as I am. Like any family I want her to be safe as possible. I have even more respect for her deciding to do this to help her self and our family and if need be our country. But like you already probably know it’s hard with family. Any ideas of the best place to get info for the kids on what would be going on and how to make the transition “easier” on everyone?

Comment

why cant I see my response to the other posts?

Comment

I don’t know if you got my replies but I don’t see them on here so I guess I will try to remember what I wrote.
              Overall my main concern was and always will be sexual assault. I know what can happen (based off of friends in active service). Overall I think what she wants to do is for our family and for her self and our country and I respect that. I just want as much info and feed back as possible. I have had lots of friends and distant family join active and guard but I am new to this as I relates directly to my family.
              What is life like at basic for a female and after? After reading some of the other post on the forum I think most of my concerns have been addressed but like anyone with a family or loved ones knows the military can take its toll but also be very rewarding.
              I really am thankful for your responses and its nice to talk with people that have gone through similar situations.
              Do you have any pointers for questions we should ask the recruiter? Out of experience….
              Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by LeifHansen View Post
                I don’t know if you got my replies but I don’t see them on here so I guess I will try to remember what I wrote.
                Overall my main concern was and always will be sexual assault. I know what can happen (based off of friends in active service). Overall I think what she wants to do is for our family and for her self and our country and I respect that. I just want as much info and feed back as possible. I have had lots of friends and distant family join active and guard but I am new to this as I relates directly to my family.
                What is life like at basic for a female and after? After reading some of the other post on the forum I think most of my concerns have been addressed but like anyone with a family or loved ones knows the military can take its toll but also be very rewarding.
                I really am thankful for your responses and its nice to talk with people that have gone through similar situations.
                Do you have any pointers for questions we should ask the recruiter? Out of experience….
                Thanks again!
                All your posts are there! It was likely in the Moderater que when you first posted it.

One thing I would like to add about your concerns is that it is the Army's policy to take sexual harassment (including assault) very seriously. It is understandable to be concerned for your wife, but rest assured that this is something that every Soldier is taught about on an annual basis. There are checks and balances in place which your wife will become familiar with very quickly.

Comment

This is my opinion, and therefore completely anecdotal, but I don't believe there is any stastitically significant difference in the occurance of sexual assualt in the military as there is in the general populace. If someone has numbers and wants to post them, please feel free.

Comment

. I leave for BCT in 3 weeks, so my experience is limited, but here's my experience nonetheless.

My girlfriend and I are both in the Guard and I'm personally not terribly worried she'll be victimized. After reading the LT's post I googled "sexual assault in the US Army V the general populace" and came across an article that claims sexual assaults are more likely for women in uniform. The article was published this year, however it's sources are dated over 20 years ago and there are likely anachronisms in the stats. Here's the link since I brought it up http://deploymentpsych.org/topics-di...n-the-military , but don't let the content scare you. Like I said, I don't entirely trust the statistics

What I can tell you from experience is that on day one at my first ever RSP drill (pre-basic drill) we covered the Army's sexual harassment/assault policy at length. Recruits are taught that if you are made uncomfortable in any type of sexual way, there are outlets to handle that without fear of alienating yourself from your battle buddies or of being reprimanded/silenced by your chain of command (for example, even if an unwelcome advance comes from your commanding officer, it will not go ignored).

I know you said that your concern was sexual assault (you didn't mention harassment), however perpetrators typically know their victims, and often an inappropriate comment or touch will come before an assault. Therefore having an effective reactive policy towards sexual harassment (which the Army does) is also an effective proactive policy on assaults.

Your concerns are rational, but I wouldn't worry.

Comment

please tell her not to, until your kids are old enough. 6 yrs old?? they need their mom.

Comment

Originally posted by timmyrico View Post
                        please tell her not to, until your kids are old enough. 6 yrs old?? they need their mom.
                        Thanks for digging up a two month old thread to offer some highly intellectual advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          Thanks for digging up a two month old thread to offer some highly intellectual advice.
                          The first post...such an important one, shows everyone the quality you can bring to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                            This is my opinion, and therefore completely anecdotal, but I don't believe there is any stastitically significant difference in the occurance of sexual assualt in the military as there is in the general populace. If someone has numbers and wants to post them, please feel free.
                            This is purely conjecture, but let's do the math. Even if we assume the occurrence of sexual assault in the military is the same as the general populace, the ratio of women to men is not the same as in the general populace. There is a potential for a woman in the military to be the victim of sexual assault more frequently and yet the reported stats would still be the same.

Imagine your wife on deployment with 20 dudes who are tired of fapping the entire time. Some of these degenerates will commit sexual assault. Fact.

Another question: sexual assault generally means a sexual act without consent.

Some women go from being a "2" to a "9" with guys who have year long beer goggles, and women are attention-seeking people.

Comment

You are about as "safe" as I am or anybody else. Female or Male either way, war is war. Think about the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X