X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend

So I'm going to be joining. My girlfriend is proud of me but naturally she's sad that I'll be gone for so long. Which is totally understood. I would be sad if she was gone for a long time too. Anything I can do to make it easier on her before and while I'm at basic?

Re: Girlfriend

Either 1) Break up with her or 2) Tell her that FMCITYSLICKER has been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan for over 30 months (and counting) and due to many schools and exercises that I have been to since January 2004, add about another 16 months. So I have not seen my family for approximately 4 years+or- in the nearly 9 years that has passed.

She will then take a chill pill and will be happy that it is only basic training.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 7th, 2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Well I don't plan on breaking up with her haha. I told her just now, that it's only basic training and AIT and that I wont be gone forever. I told her I'll be writing her as much as possible while I'm gone as well. Seemed to cheer her up a lot. I think it was the part about writing her while I'm gone
      I give her props, my last girlfriend didn't want me joining whatsoever. This one, she's actually proud that I'm doing this. Awww shucks

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanRifleSpinner View Post
        Anything I can do to make it easier on her before and while I'm at basic?
        Have a friend keep her warm at night while you're gone...that will help with her lonliness

But seriously...I don't know how old you are or how serious this relationship is. It sounds like it hasn't been going on too long since you said your ex did not wan you to join and you are joining now. If it is not a serious relationship, then just being honest, it will be difficult to make it through this time. More for her then for you since you have nothing but time and her to think about, where as she has life happening while you are gone. I'm only saying this to give a realistic view of things, too many young soldiers leave for basic after just starting a new relationship, only to receive a "dear john" letter a month later about how "its just not working" for the one at home. That is not to say it can't work out, just that the odds are against you when it's not a serious relationship.

Comment

Im kinda in the same boat, that is if my wavier ever goes through. But it sounds like you care about her cause your asking, other wise im sure you'd just forget about her if she was a random. I would say just make sure you really trust her cause you will be gone a while, if shes been a good girlfriend she should hopefully be loyal. Also make sure your fine with not seeing her, don't want it to be wrapped around your head all of basic. Basically i would expect the worst just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanRifleSpinner View Post
            So I'm going to be joining. My girlfriend is proud of me but naturally she's sad that I'll be gone for so long. Which is totally understood. I would be sad if she was gone for a long time too. Anything I can do to make it easier on her before and while I'm at basic?
            If she's curious about what you'll be going through, you can have her look at the BCT section on the National Guard website. There's also a FAQ section she might find helpful. Here's the link:

http://bit.ly/LI15rO

Comment

Working...
            X