Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on getting prepared for BCT and AIT

Hello All!

My husband is set to leave for BCT (Army National Gaurd) on 9/11/12. He'll immediately go to AIT and he'll be gone approximately eight months. He is uncertain if he completed the neccessary paperwork to add the kid and I in DEERS in order to obtain healthcare coverage. It seems like Tricare will be less expensive than the insurance through our employers. Is there a way to confirm? Also, do you find it neccessary to obtain POA (power of attorney)? I guess I'm looking for guidance on what we should be doing to prepare for his upcoming departure. Thanks in advance for any direction!~Melissa

Re: Questions on getting prepared for BCT and AIT

Originally posted by mmtrujillo View Post
    Hello All!

My husband is set to leave for BCT (Army National Gaurd) on 9/11/12. He'll immediately go to AIT and he'll be gone approximately eight months. He is uncertain if he completed the neccessary paperwork to add the kid and I in DEERS in order to obtain healthcare coverage. It seems like Tricare will be less expensive than the insurance through our employers. Is there a way to confirm? Also, do you find it neccessary to obtain POA (power of attorney)? I guess I'm looking for guidance on what we should be doing to prepare for his upcoming departure. Thanks in advance for any direction!~Melissa
    The quickest way to find out is to call TRICARE. His dependents won't show up (you and your child) as being eligible if they are not put into DEERS. If this is the case, head down to your local DEERS office as soon as you can to get everything set up before he leaves for training. It will make it easier to get things done if he is able to be there. Don't forget to enlist the help of his Recruiter or RSP cadre. That's what they are there for!

Comment

Originally posted by mmtrujillo View Post
      Hello All!

Before my husband left we did obtain a POA, just in case. We never needed it but I would recommend having one since you never know what issues may pop up. Also, call Tricare to ensure you and your child are covered before he leaves. You may have to go to the DEERS office but its best to double check while he is still available.
      Good luck and be sure to send him lots of photos and sweet letters!

Comment

Originally posted by Ranwal03 View Post
        Before my husband left we did obtain a POA, just in case. We never needed it but I would recommend having one since you never know what issues may pop up. Also, call Tricare to ensure you and your child are covered before he leaves. You may have to go to the DEERS office but its best to double check while he is still available.
        Good luck and be sure to send him lots of photos and sweet letters!
        Great advice! POA's are often overlooked and understated, but they are handy when you need them!

Comment

It's been a while, but I believe he should get a briefing coving all of that and a chance to correct it during reception in BCT. Even if they don't he can always inform his DS of the problem. They may not be the nicest guys in the world and hell probably catch some flak for not taking care of the issue before his arrival, but they generally won't ignore his problems.

Comment

Working...
          X