X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• needing advice from families please.

the day i have been dreading has finally been set and stone. My fiance found out he will be deployed I knew it would happen when we first starting dating but we still made plans to marry and have a child i just kept telling myself maybe there will be no need for him to ever get deployed I know it sounds dumb but it made it easier I guess I am so terrified of something happening to him. he will have to leave right around our daughters first birthday and I am just wondering how many others could give me any advice or tips on how to deal with this. Our daughter will be to young to understand where her daddy is and how long he will be gone also Ihave two young children and he has four two of his understand what is going on but the four little ones don't and they just keep asking him to stay they are between ages of 4-6 so how do I help them out ass well his kids are all daddys boys and my kids look up to him so much they constintly ask for him just for the small amount of time he is at drill he is a really wonderful guy and is very excited he finally gets his chance to be a real soldier but we are both really concerned about how to help the kids and I deal with it ( more the kids since they don't understand) has anyone else had young children when deployed what did you do for them? and please anyone who response to this no rude commits i am just looking for tips not insults.

Re: needing advice from families please.

There are some helpful booklets and guides that you should be able to get from either the family readiness group or the chaplain. They have certain books just for kids to help explain the deployment and stuff like that.

Comment

Re: needing advice from families please.

Military One Source provides a variety of helpful links and resources. Also, states have a Family Assistance Center, and Family Readiness Support Groups that can be invaluable assistance to families throughout the deployment. Honestly, it is not the "danger" to be overtly concerned about, although I realize that is a common one. It's the long term separation that proves the most difficult. The miltary has done wonders over the years keeping families involved and using initiatives as atypical as the "Flat Daddy" program. The bottom line is, there is no way to make it perfect. Having someone you love be away for such an extended period is difficult. The good news is, it's 2012. Unlike soldiers from every other American conflict, MOST soldiers have the ability to communicate via phone, internet, even Skype on a semi-regular basis (mission location dependant of course). That's come a LONG way from letter writing that took weeks between communications.

Military One Source @ [url]http://www.militaryonesource.mil
      Last edited by Mongoose772; July 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X