X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving Mail

Does anyone know about how long it takes for a soldier to receive their mail? I've sent my daughter several letters and she has not received any of them. We've gotten her letters to us.

I also wanted to know if they are allowed to call home while at basic. Her DS here told us they usually let them call once per week but it's been 4 weeks since she left and she hasn't been allowed a phone call yet.

Re: Receiving Mail

It's the regular US mail system, so it shouldn't take more than a few days. You could try calling the unit to see if there are any unusual delays they're aware of.

As for phone calls, I think I was allowed to make them while I was in the reception unit (this is where recruits go when they reach their BCT post before they are assigned to their BCT company), but after that we only got a few over the duration of BCT. But that was at Fort Sill ten years ago, so her situation may be different.

Comment

Depending on when she left for BCT it could take a while. It is up to the DS when they get mail, so they may be holding t back for some reason. My husbands group was being punished for something or other and they didnt get mail for several days. As for phone calls it varies per DS. My husband got to call once per phase... i got all of 3 calls the entire time. others I have heard get once a week. It just really depends on where she is and who her DS is.

Comment

I was at Fort Sill and although we would have phone calls be taken from us for getting into trouble, we NEVER had mail withheld. That being said, I received letters from my family a week or two (or more AFTER) they sent them...why? Not because our DS's held it, but because the sorting center on the base was SOOOO SLOW and they often had days off for any given reason. So we would have days where you got tons of back-mail simply because the sorting center was just getting around to bringing the bins over.

Don't worry, eventually they will get it... I JUST got a letter delivered to my house (from Fort Sill) 2 weeks ago and I left Fort Sill on OCTOBER. The letter had been written by my son the SECOND WEEK I was gone (late August).

Just keep writing.....no mail is no fun, but when it all comes in a clump, that's like Christmas Day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
          I was at Fort Sill and although we would have phone calls be taken from us for getting into trouble, we NEVER had mail withheld. That being said, I received letters from my family a week or two (or more AFTER) they sent them...why? Not because our DS's held it, but because the sorting center on the base was SOOOO SLOW and they often had days off for any given reason. So we would have days where you got tons of back-mail simply because the sorting center was just getting around to bringing the bins over.

Don't worry, eventually they will get it... I JUST got a letter delivered to my house (from Fort Sill) 2 weeks ago and I left Fort Sill on OCTOBER. The letter had been written by my son the SECOND WEEK I was gone (late August).

Just keep writing.....no mail is no fun, but when it all comes in a clump, that's like Christmas Day!!
          Thank you so much...that helps me a lot. Not knowing anything makes me crazy. She's at Fort Jackson, SC. She left Houston on 6/18/12 and got to her training post on 6/25. I've gotten several letters from her but it makes me sad to think she's not getting anything from us. She will be so excited she she finally gets all her letters. Thanks again for taking the time to post this reply and thank you for your service.

Comment

I just left fort Jackson 2 weeks ago. The mail service there is not the greatest. And we only got 2 phone calls the whole time we were there. The phone call situation all depends on what battalion and company she is in tho. And we did not get our cell phones till the day before family day. Keep writing, she'll get them eventually. Sometimes she'll get 3 or 4 letters at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X