Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlisting with 3 kids under the age of 10...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting with 3 kids under the age of 10...

I am trying to enlist at the age of thirty. I have three kids and their ages are 10, 8, and 3. the older two think that it is "cool" mommy is going to enlist. How do I explain to my three year old that I will be going away for a while?

Re: Enlisting with 3 kids under the age of 10...

I just enlisted and I have a 5 year old daughter. We just sat her down and explained to her what was going to happen and tried to play up the positives. At first she didn't want to hear it, but after a few days she adjusted to the idea. As a parent, I'm sure you know that kids are very resilient. But I'm sure it may be a little different with a 3 year old. It will probably be a little difficult for them to comprehend if mommy has always been there. I know, this probably doesn't help at all. Good luck though!

Comment

It's definitely a difficult situation to deal with the little ones when having to explain about going away for training (or possibly a deployment). It's nice that you have support from your older ones, but with the young one, I would "play up the positives, as sv9cannon mentioned, and take it from there. When a Soldier joins the Guard, their family does too. It can be taxing, at times.

Comment

Thank you so much. I know she will be taken care of while I am gone, but Mommy and grandma have been the only consistent people in their lives. My ex mom in law will be taking care of her, I just don't want her to feel abandoned.

Comment

Working...
        X