X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family and Drill

This may seem like an odd question but here goes. Now I will be coming in as a commissioned officer (not sure if that makes a difference)I am starting the process of joining the guard and was talking with a guy that is in now. What he was saying was that he would use some money (I think he said his housing allowance) and get a hotel near by the drill sight his wife would go with him. He just made sure he was up early enough to be at drill. Is this something that really happens?

Re: Family and Drill

I'm sure a forum member more versed on the specific rules regarding the receipt of BAH will chime in, but my question is;

Why would you need or want to take your spouse with you to drill? It's only 2 days.

Comment

You will not get extra money to pay for a hotel at drill. Now if you want to pay for a room and have her sit around until drill is over; then that is up to you. My last unit in the Guard was 70 miles from my house and I either drove back home on Saturday or was able to check out a key that had beds in a squad bay. Camp Rell ultimately built a lodging in post so you can reserve a room.

To most; drill is an escape from your loved one; not to further that companionship. Must be a new relationship without kids haha.

Comment

Some states had "Fatigue Management" monies up until the end of FY 11. From 2005-2011 if a soldier drilled more than 50 miles from his home of record we were footing the bill for a Friday night/Saturday night hotel room. This plan was partially funded because aging National Guard armories did not meet life safety (NFPA 101) and egress codes for quarters. Needless to say the money has dried up. Soldiers are again racking out on drill hall floors. (I keep a cot in my office).
        My family occassionally makes the trip to drill with me. Although now I either foot the bill for a hotel or they stay with friends who are more local to the unit. Typically for "family day/christmas party" type events, although some soldiers routinely are accompanied by girlfriends ect. I would say it's training scheudle dependent. Sometimes the duty day could end as early as 1530hrs, although many units will have 24 hour operations even during drill weekend if performing AWTs or a field event.
        May I ask, what are you planning on doing for the Army?
        Last edited by Mongoose772; June 10th, 2012, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Ok, so I go to drill on the weekend...and say we drill till 15;30 on Saturday, Im released, but my unit may not have a bay with bunks or cots? So, I could just go home, rack out an d come back in the morning for sunday drill, or just rack out on a cot there?

Comment

Exactly...however don't count on being released at 1530, but yeah, thats pretty much how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
              Some states had "Fatigue Management" monies up until the end of FY 11. From 2005-2011 if a soldier drilled more than 50 miles from his home of record we were footing the bill for a Friday night/Saturday night hotel room. This plan was partially funded because aging National Guard armories did not meet life safety (NFPA 101) and egress codes for quarters. Needless to say the money has dried up. Soldiers are again racking out on drill hall floors. (I keep a cot in my office).
              My family occassionally makes the trip to drill with me. Although now I either foot the bill for a hotel or they stay with friends who are more local to the unit. Typically for "family day/christmas party" type events, although some soldiers routinely are accompanied by girlfriends ect. I would say it's training scheudle dependent. Sometimes the duty day could end as early as 1530hrs, although many units will have 24 hour operations even during drill weekend if performing AWTs or a field event.
              That is very interesting. I was not aware that some states came up with that program. I even found that program on google for the NYARNG

http://dmna.ny.gov/arng/ocs/fatigue_mgt_program.pdf

http://dmna.ny.gov/arng/ocs/ocs.php?id=usar

Nice way of using the GPC card I believe he is going to be a direct commish.

May 8, 2012 – New York Army National Guard Fatigue Management IDT Lodging Program is available to all Soldiers who meet the travel distance criteria and .
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 10th, 2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                That is very interesting. I was not aware that some states came up with that program. I even found that program on google for the NYARNG

http://dmna.ny.gov/arng/ocs/fatigue_mgt_program.pdf

http://dmna.ny.gov/arng/ocs/ocs.php?id=usar

Nice way of using the GPC card I believe he is going to be a direct commish.

May 8, 2012 – New York Army National Guard Fatigue Management IDT Lodging Program is available to all Soldiers who meet the travel distance criteria and .
                It's been around for quite a few years.

Comment

LOL...Roger SFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
                    I am a Physician Assistant.

Comment

Hi NC,
                      I'm an PA in Ortho, too. I received a direct commission about 3 years ago, but I was prior service enlisted with 17 years. I have 2 deployments. So message me if you have any questions about PA stuff. It's confusing at times....and it really depends on what kind of unit you are in.

You don't get a housing allowance for drill weekends, but as mentioned above, many states provide hotel lodging for service members who drill over 50 miles away from their armory, but it's just for the service member, not the family.

Comment

Working...
                      X