Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm meeting with my recruiter today. I've wanted to do military since I was 17. I let my mom and dad "guilt trip" me out of it. I'm 22 and I've been married four years. I now have a home and a two year old boy. I haven't been able to shake the want for military life though. My wife is extremely supportive and now that my mom knows I'm comitted, she is on board as well. My old man still has a hard time with it.

I wanted to publicly thank all the family members of the fine men and women called to serve. I know I couldn't do this without my wife's support and I hope to win over my dad when I get back from BCT and MOS.

Re: Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!

What kind of jobs are you interested in doing?

Comment

Glad to be here.

I've talked to my boss who retired from the Guard. He has me amped up for Field Artillery or Combat Engineer. Fun tasks to be done and opportunity to earn the right to lead. Besides, who doesn't want to explode things lol. I just need to meet with my recruiter and kick the **** out of the test and see what is open.

Comment

To any who care,

Took the AVSAB today. 74 percentile lowest line score was 112 highest was 118. Still not sure on a MOS. Have to get records for a hernia back in 07. And the path to honor is a pain. Having flashbacks to applying for a clearence...

Comment

Well, as others say here. Shoot for the MOS you want, not what the scores or recruiters say. If your recruiter shares some of the available ones, feel free to search the forums or inquire openly about whether anyone has experience in those jobs.

Comment

I wanted 12B, but it may not happen. It has little to no openings. Been looking into some artillery and mechanic trades. Also intelligence analyst.

Comment

Field Artillery is great. I love it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

You could always go for 56M!

Comment

My recruiter is digging into my options. He has been wonderful in helping me through the process. I went in to meet him on Thursday and had path to honor and the asvab and medical records for a hernia all done and into him by Friday. I should get into MEPs on this upcoming Thursday and into my first RSP that same weekend. The process really hasn't been all that bad.

Comment

One thing to consider when choosing a MOS is how far you will have to drive to drill. If you have to spend 50 in gas that's about 1/3 of your drill pay.

Comment

12B would be quite the drive. But my employer is great and I can trade shifts around to get a full forty hours on drill weekends. Flexibility is one of the few perks in private security...

Comment

Driving across the state gets old after a while. Lots of wear on your vehicle and $$$ in gas. Did he talk about what other MOSs are available?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                          One thing to consider when choosing a MOS is how far you will have to drive to drill. If you have to spend 50 in gas that's about 1/3 of your drill pay.
                          spending 50 in gas will get me to the armory 5 miles away these days!

Comment

RSP NCO +1 to that, fuel is terrible. I gave my recruiter about ten MOS options I'm interested in. I will get more details on location and such then. I know that all the jobs are important so you can be proud whatever you do. And I have been reading heavily into the jobs the guard offers. My list was what was most appealing, but I could easily add ten morre I would enjoy after the first list is exhausted due to openings or how they fit my life. I'm an easy recruit I guess.

Comment

Highwind I can relate to you. Currently I'm a 12B but I'm torn between choosing to branch as my beloved Engineers or Field Artillery when I commission next year.

I love being a 12B. They sold me when they said that "We blow sh*t up". And no one can deny that our job (route clearance) downrange isn't of great importance.

The advice I can give to you, is to make sure that you choose a job that you like or have an interest in. Don't choose one based on location. Right now I drive nearly 50 miles to drill...Definitely puts a dent in my pocket as I drive a Tundra but I love my unit, my guys and I look forward to each drill weekend. I'll make the drive anyday as opposed to walking across the street and drilling in a MOS I hate.

Comment

Working...
                              X