68K MEDICAL LABORATORY SPECIALIST
The medical laboratory specialist conducts tests on the tissue, blood and body fluids of patients.
- Perform elementary blood banking and clinical laboratory procedures in hematology, immunohematology, clinical chemistry, serology, bacteriology, parasitology and urinalysis
- Collect blood specimens by venipuncture and capillary puncture
- Pack, unpack, inspect, store and distribute blood and blood products
- Assemble, disassemble and maintain laboratory equipment
Ten weeks of Basic Combat Training and 52 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice-testing specimens.
Advanced Individual Training: 52 weeks at Fort Sam Houston, TX
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Medical laboratory procedures
- Study of human parasites and diseases
- Laboratory administration and records-keeping
- Interest in biology, chemistry and algebra
- Ability to follow detailed procedures precisely
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Skilled Technical (ST): 106
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with privately owned laboratories, hospitals, clinics or research institutions.
The certifications available to you after continued study and experience are medical laboratory technician, cytotechnologist and clinical laboratory technician. Specific educational criteria must be met before you can qualify for certification.
+ Active Duty
+ Army Reserve
+ Open to Women
+ Entry Level