68H OPTICAL LABORATORY SPECIALIST
The optical laboratory specialist is primarily responsible for making and repairing eyeglasses that are provided for Army personnel.
- Surface lens blanks, fabricates and repairs
- Assemble prescription spectacles
- Maintain tools and equipment
Ten weeks of Basic Combat Training and 24 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice in making and repairing optical devices.
Advanced Individual Training: 24 weeks at Yorktown Naval Weapons Station, VA
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Knowledge of ophthalmic optics, ocular anatomy and physiology
- Comprehension of optical laboratory supply and administration
- Understanding of optical laboratory procedures sufficient to completely fabricate and dispense prescription military eyewear in both office and field environments
- Interest in biology, chemistry and industrial arts
- Proficiency with precision tools and instruments
- High attention to detail
- Adept at following detailed instructions and work procedures
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
General Maintenance (GM): 98
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as an optical laboratory technician, an optician or an ophthalmic laboratory technician in optical laboratories or retail optical offices.
Through your extensive Army training, additional study and two years of recommended experience, you may qualify to take the National Opticianry Competency Exam, which will allow you to possibly pursue a career as an optician.
+ Active Duty
+ Army Reserve
+ Open to Women
+ Entry Level