18C SPECIAL FORCES ENGINEER SERGEANT
The Special Forces engineer sergeant is an expert builder. You will use your construction know-how to create buildings and field fortifications. The Special Forces engineer sergeant is also skilled in all areas of demolition, including land mine warfare and improvised munitions.
- Perform and teach tasks in demolitions, explosives, field fortification, bridging, rigging, reconnaissance and civil action projects
- Read maps, overlays, photos, charts and blueprints
- Carry out demolition raids against enemy targets, such as bridges, railroads, fuel depots and critical components of infrastructure
- Employ warfare tactics and techniques in infantry operations
Being a Special Forces engineer sergeant is very physically demanding. Good eyesight and physical conditioning are required to reach mission objectives via air, land or water. You will also be required to have excellent hand-eye coordination for detonating or deactivating explosives. All Special Forces engineer sergeants are required to be qualified parachutists. Most are also qualified Military Free Fall (HALO) parachutists and combat divers.
To serve in the Guard, you must take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). It’s a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identifies which Army job is best for you.
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Minimum 50 on the ASVAB with an absolute minimum General Technical (GT) line score of 109
To become a Special Forces engineer sergeant, you’ll attend 62 weeks of formal classroom training and practice exercises. Plus, Special Forces engineer sergeants are trained paratroopers and survival experts, as well as being trained in many forms of combat due to the wide variety of their missions.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Physical conditioning and parachuting
- Using carpentry and construction tools and equipment
- Handling and using conventional explosives and improvised explosives
- Bomb and mine disposal
- Ability to work as a team member
- Readiness to accept any challenge
- Ability to stay in top physical condition
- Interest in construction and demolitions
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations